The X and Gamma Imaging team (imXgam) conducts interdisciplinary research activities for ionizing radiation imaging applications in the field of health and energy. These are based on the expertise in electronics and instrumentation of IN2P3, capitalizing its development for large instruments dedicated to high energy physics.
In this context, the imXgam team has built several generations of hybrid pixel cameras for various applications in crystallography and biomedical imaging. We contribute to the development of data acquisition electronics for positron detection by pixelated probes and for rapid gamma imaging in hadrontherapy and we are involved in the development of a Compton camera for nuclear dismantling and hadrontherapy operations.
The imXgam team is a member of the Crystal Clear collaboration and the OpenGATE collaboration, which develop and maintain the GATE simulation platform. At the national level, the research themes of the imXgam team fit into the context of the activities of the Modeling and Instrumentation GDR for Biomedical Imaging (MI2B).
Researchers and Research professors
- Yannick Boursier, mathématician
- Christian Morel, engineer physicist, professor, scientific coordinator
Engineers and Technicians
- Kevin Arnaud, electronic department
- Patrick Breugnon, electronic department
- Jean-Pierre Cachemiche, electronic department
- Mathieu Dupont, instrumentation department technical coordinator
- Fabrice Gensolen, electronic department
- Julien Langouët, CDD
- Jean-Philippe Logier, mechanic department
- Mohsine Menouni, electronic department
- Mathieu Niclas, mechanic department
- Patrick Pangaud, electronic department
- Jérôme Royon, electronic department
- Eric Vigeolas, mechanic department
PHD students and post-doctoral fellows
2021: 4 articles
- ProMeSCT : a proximal metric algorithm for spectral CT, S. Tairi et al. , IEEE T. Rad. Plasma Med. Sci 5(4) (2021) 548-558
- A time-of-flight-based reconstruction for real-time prompt-gamma imaging in protontherapy, M. Jacquet et al. , Phys. Med. Biol 66 (2021) 135003
- Advanced Monte Carlo simulations of emission tomography imaging systems with GATE, D. Sarrut et al. , Phys. Med. Biol 66 (2021) 10TR03
- Characterization of a beam-tagging hodoscope for hadrontherapy monitoring, O. Allegrini et al. , J. Instrum 16 (2021) P02028
2020: 3 articles
- Roadmap toward the 10 ps time-of-flight PET challenge, P. Lecoq et al. , Phys. Med. Biol 65 (2020)
- On the role of single particle irradiation and fast timing for efficient online-control in particle therapy, D. Dauvergne et al. , Front. Phys. 8 (2020) 434
- Design study of a "scintronic" crystal targeting tens of picoseconds time resolution for gamma ray imaging: the ClearMind detector, D. Yvon et al. , J. Instrum 15 (2020)
2019: 2 articles
- MAPSSIC, a Novel CMOS Intracerebral Positrons Probe for Deep Brain Imaging in Awake and Freely Moving Rats: A Monte Carlo Study, L. Ammour et al. , IEEE T. Rad. Plasma Med. Sci 3 (2019) 302-314
- Tracking Dynamics of Spontaneous Tumors in MiceUsing Photon-Counting Computed Tomography, F. Cassol et al. , iScience 21 (2019) 68-83
2020: 1 conference proceeding
- MAPSSIC, a communicating MAPS-based intracerebral positrons probe for deep brain imaging in awake and freely-moving rats, F. Gensolen , L .Ammour, M. Bautista , J. Heymes, S. Fieux, M. Kachel, F. Lefebvre, P. Pangaud , L. Pinot, P. Lanièce, J. Baudot, P. Gisquet, L. Zimmer, M-A. Verdier, C. Morel , indéfini, ANIMMA 2019 Conf Rec. (2020), Portoroz, Slovenia, 17-21 Jun 2019
2019: 2 conference proceedings
- A time-of-flight gamma camera data acquisition system for hadrontherapy monitoring, X. Chen, O. Allegrini, B. Carlus, C. Caplan , L. Caponetto, J. P. Cachemiche , S. Curtoni, D. Dauvergne, R. Della Negra, M. Fontana, L. Gallin-Martel, M.-L. Gallin-Martel, J. Hérault, D. Lambert, G.-N. Lu, M. Magne, S. Marcatili, H. Mathez, C. Morel , G. Montarou, E. Testa, Y. Zoccarato, IEEE Conf. Proceedings, IEEE NSS/MIC 2019 (2019), Manchester, United Kingdom, 28 Oct - 2 Nov 2019
- A μTCA Back-End Firmware for Data Acquisition and Slow Control of the CLaRyS Compton Camera, C. Caplan , O. Allegrini, J.-P. Cachemiche , B. Carlus, X. Chen, D. Dauvergne, R. Della-Negra, M. Fontana, L. Gallin-Martel, M.-L. Gallin-Martel, J. Hérault, D. Lambert, G.-N. Lu, M. Magne, H. Mathez, G. Montarou, C. Morel , M. Rodo Bordera, E. Testa, Y. Zoccarato, IEEE Conf. Proceedings, IEEE NSS/MIC 2019 (2019), Manchester, United Kingdom, 28 Oct - 2 Nov 2019
2021: 2 talks
- Compton 3D imaging with sparse number of views: progress on image quality @ 511 keV, M.Z. Hmissi, G. Lebonvallet, A. Iltis, B. Mehadji and C. Morel , 34th Annual Congress of the European Association of Nuclear Medicine (EANM 2021), Hamburg, Germany, 20-23 Oct 2021
- Estimating the relative SNR of individual TOF-PET events for Gaussian and non-Gaussian TOF-kernels, J. Nuyts, E. Roncali, S. Gundacker, C. Morel , D. Visvikis, P. Lecoq, Fully-3D’2021, 16th International meeting on fully 3D image reconstructionin radiology and nuclear medicine, Leuven, Belgium, 19-23 Jul 2021
2020: 2 talks
- Detectors for X-ray imaging, C. Morel , European School of Instrumentation in Particle & Astroparticle Physics, ESIPAP’2020, Archamps, France, 2-6 Mar 2020
- Monte Carlo implementation and experimental validation of a model of SiPM, B. Mehadji , M. Dupont and C. Morel , IEEE NSS/MIC’2020, IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium and Medical Imaging Conference, Boston, United States, 31 Oct - 7 Nov 2020
2019: 7 talks
- Detectors for X-ray imaging, C. Morel , European School of Instrumentation in Particle & Astroparticle Physics, ESIPAP’2019, Archamps, France, 4-8 Mar 2019
- Setting up the 10 ps Challenge: rationale and progress status, C. Morel , VI Mediterranean Thematic Workshop in Advanced Molecular Imaging MEDAMI’ 2019, Valencia, Spain, 15-17 May 2019
- Le défi 10 ps, C. Morel , Journées Thématiques du Réseau Semi-conducteur IN2P3-IRFU, Marseille, France, 25-26 Jun 2019
- Detectors for X-ray imaging, C. Morel , Ecole d’été France Excellence, Marseille, France, 1-11 Jul 2019
- Setting up of the 10 ps challenge: progress status, C. Morel , Journées annuelles du GDR MI2B, Nantes, France, 20-22 Nov 2019
- Binocular CeBr3 Compton camera for nuclear decommissioning and nuclear waste management, H.Z. Hmissi, A. Iltis, C. Tata Zafiarifety, G. Zeufack, Tadonkeng, L Rodrigues and C. Morel , ANIMMA’2019, International Conference on Advancements in Nuclear Instrumentation, Measurement Methods and their Applications, Portorož, Slovenia, 17-21 Jun 2019
- Flight-speed, efficient, high-resolution gamma ray imaging: the Clearmind project, D. Yvon, S. Sharyy, M. Follin, J.-P. Bard, D. Breton, J. Maalmi, C. Morel , NSS/MIC’2019, IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium and Medical Imaging Conference, Manchester, United Kingdom, 28 Oct - 2 Nov 2019
2022: 1 poster
- Micro Photon-Counting Computed Tomography to document longitudinally treatment response in hepatocellular carcinoma mouse models, F. Cannet , Y. Boursier , C. Sequera, S. Richelme; P. Michea, J.-P. Borg, C. Morel , F. Maina, 17th European Molecular Imaging Meeting | EMIM 2022, Thessaloniki, Greece, 15-18 Mar 2022
2020: 1 poster
- Towards a binocular Compton Camera for low activity Imaging, M. Z. Hmissi, A. Iltis, C. Tata, G. Zeufack, B. Mehadji , C. Morel , H. Snoussi, IEEE NSS/MIC’2020, IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium and Medical Imaging Conference, Boston, United States, 31 Oct - 7 Nov 2020
2019: 4 posters
- Fast prompt-gamma imaging for the online monitoring of the ion range in hadron therapy, J. Livingstone, A. Etxebeste, S. M. Cissé, D. Dauvergne, M. Fontana, M.-L. Gallin-Martel, J.-M. Létang, S. Marcatili, C. Morel , D. Sarrut, E. Testa, PTCOG58, 58th Annual Conference of the Particle Therapy Co-Operative Group, Manchester, United Kingdom, 10-15 Jun 2019
- Temporal imaging CeBr3 Compton camera: first imaging results and prospects for medical imaging, C. Tata Zafiarifety, A. Iltis, G. Zeufack, L. Rodrigues, M. Lopez, H. Snoussi, Z. Hmissi, C. Morel , Conf. Rec. SPIE Medical Imaging Conference, San Diego, United States, 16-21 Feb 2019
- Imaging of a 30 kBq 22Na source form 3 meters with a Temporal CeBr3 Compton camera, M.Z. Hmissi, A. Iltis, C. Tata, G. Zeufack, A. Alhamwi, L. Rodrigues, B. Mehadji , C. Morel , H. Snoussi, NSS/MIC’2019, IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium and Medical Imaging Conference, Manchester, United Kingdom, 28 Oct - 2 Nov 2019
- Test and characterization of the ClaRyS camera’s absorber with its final acquisition chain, O. Allegrini, J.-P. Cachemiche , C. Caplan , B. Carlus, X. Chen, D. Dauvergne, R. Della Negra, J.-M. Létang, C. Morel , E. Testa, Young Investigator's Workshop on Photon Detection in Medicine and Medical Physics, Siegen, Germany, 2-3 Dec 2019
2021: 1 mémoire
Modélisation Monte Carlo d'une caméra Compton basée sur l'utilisation de détecteurs à scintillation sensibles à la position couplés à des SiPM, B. Mehadji, ,
2019: 1 mémoire
Développement de méthodes itératives pour la reconstruction en tomographie spectrale, S. Tairi, Aix-Marseille Université, 20 Jun 2019
Study and realization of an intracranial probe PIXSIC for the positrons detection in the vigilant and free rat, as a part of a collaboration between CPPM, uIMNC](https://www.imnc.in2p3.fr/), CERMEP and CNPS with the ANR funds. A harness carried by the rat makes it possible to simultaneously connect two probes which communicate with an acquisition PC by a wireless link.
- J. Maerk et al., A wireless beta-microprobe based on pixelated silicon for in vivo brain studies in freely moving rats , Phys. Med. Biol. 58 (2013) 4483-4500
- L. Balasse et al., PIXSIC, a pixelated beta+-sensitive probe for radiopharmacological investigations in rat brain: binbing studies with [18F]MPPF, Mol. Imaging Biol. 17 (2015) 163-167
- L. Balasse et al., PIXSIC: a wireless intracerebral radiosensitive probe in freely moving rats, Mol. Imaging 14 (2015) 484-489
Participation au développement du module de simulation GPU hGATE of the Monte Carlo simulation platform GATE (V7.0) as part of a collaboration between the CPPM, LaTIM and IPHC with ANR funds. This GPU module simulates the radiation-matter interactions inside and up to the surface of a voxellized phantom based on the cross sections used by Geant4.
- J. Bert et al., Geant4-based Monte Carlo simulations on GPU for medical applications, Phys. Med. Biol. 58 (2013) 5593-5611
Study and construction of the CdTe hybrid pixel detector as part of a collaboration between CPPM, Synchrotron SOLEIL, Institut Néel (ligne CRG-D2AM ESRF) and INT (projet CHiPSpeCT). This detector consists of 8 modules of 7 XPAD3.2 chips hybridized on CdTe pixelated sensors 700 μm thick interchangeable individually.
- C. Buton et al., Comparison of three types of XPAD3.2/CdTe single chip hybrids for hard X-ray applications in material science and biomedical imaging, Nucl. Instr. Meth. Phys. Res. A 758 (2014) 44-56
- F. Cassol et al., K-edge imaging with the XPAD3 hybrid pixel detector, direct comparison of CdTe and Si sensors, Phys. Med. Biol. 60 (2015) 5497-5511
First simultaneous PET / CT images of a [18F]FDG-labeled mouse acquired with the ClearPET / XPAD prototype.
- M. Hamonet et al., The ClearPET/XPAD prototype: development of a simultaneous PET/CT scanner for mice. in Conf. Rec. NSS/MIC’2015, IEEE Press (2015)
First images in K-edge in vivo of iodine-labeled mice with the prototype PIXSCAN, then study and construction of the PIXSCAN-FLI prototype financed by France Life Imaging (FLI) for the development of X-ray spectral tomography. This prototype includes a 150 kVp X-ray generator and can be used for K-edge imaging of gold nanoparticles with the CdTe hybrid pixel detector.
- S. Anthoine, J.-F. Aujol, Y. Boursier and C. Mélot, Some proximal methods for Poisson intensity CBCT and PET, Inverse Probl. Imag. 6 (2012) 565-598
- F. Cassol et al., First K-Edge Imaging With a Micro-CT Based on the XPAD3 Hybrid Pixel Detector, IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci. 60 (2013) 103-108
- F. Cassol et al., Characterization of the imaging performance of a micro-CT system based on the photon counting XPAD3/Si hybrid pixel detectors, Biomed. Phys. Eng. Express 2 (2016) 025003
Foundry of the integrated circuit PLATO in TSMC 130 nm technology for reading a matrix of 16 × 18 pixels of 70 μm × 70 μm with two thresholds (project DEmON).
- A. Habib et al., Simulation Results for PLATO: a prototype hybrid X-ray photon counting detector with a low energy threshold for fusion plasma diagnostics. JINST 12 (2017) C01036
Organization of the GATE / Geant4 training day of the SCINT Summer School 2017 which took place in Chamonix from 14-17 September 2017.